December 6, 2021
Call For Papers – 52nd Annual Travel and Tourism Research Association International Conference
14-16 June 2022, Victoria, Canada. Abstract Submission Deadline: 15 January 2022
The Academic Co-Chairs of the 52nd TTRA Annual Conference, Drs. Svetlana Stepchenkova, Kevin Kam Fung So, and Eugene Thomlinson invite paper submissions from travel and tourism researchers. The conference theme is Regenerative Tourism: Building Resilience. The conference will focus on recovering efforts of the global tourism and hospitality industry and communities to regenerate tourism in the post-pandemic era and at the same time to increase resilience to crises, sustain resources, and distribute more fairly tourism benefits.
Currently, TTRA plans to conduct the conference in a hybrid model, including physical presence and virtual presentation and attendance. A traditional Graduate Student Colloquium will be held online, and Ph.D. students can select to participate in the conference virtually at a reduced rate.
The TTRA 2021 Uncharted Territory: Reimagining Tourism in a New Era conference at Fort Worth and our research community’s need to address the regenerative travel and tourism post-pandemic helped shape priority areas for the 2022 TTRA conference. Conceptual, quantitative, qualitative, mixed-method, and state-of-the-art papers, as well as data-intensive studies, are invited to address the sub-themes below. Additionally, we welcome submissions that explore lessons learned and contemporary trends in travel and tourism research.
- The Regenerative Tourism
- Recovering economic indicators impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic
- Rebuilding tourism on more equitable grounds: unpacking issues of representation, equity, diversity, and inclusion in the tourism industry
- Addressing future challenges of climate change, overtourism, disasters, disease outbreaks, etc.
- New ways to travel: virtual and augmented reality
- Community Resilience
- Tourism, participation, self-reliance, and social justice
- Adaptation to economic, social, and political changes
- Addressing human resources crisis: workforce development policies for the future
- Remeasuring Success in Tourism
- Issues concerning distribution of benefits from tourism across communities. Going beyond key performance indicators and including residents’ perceptions, both survey-based and holistic accounts
- Balancing short-term tactics with long-term strategic vision
- Tourism, Happiness, Health, and Wellness
- People-centered tourism: Indigenous people and the control of identity, culture, heritage, land, governance, and future
- Marketing and promoting tourism for a better world
- COVID-19 Lessons
- Crises responses and innovative practices
- Recovery strategies and emerging opportunities in the new era
- Focusing on Data Influenced Decisions to Regenerate Tourism and Build Resilience
- Data intensive research: datamining, machine-learning, network analysis, and artificial intelligence
- Consumer neuroscience and neuromarketing
- Using and interpreting “Big Data”
At TTRA 2022, the program will include both traditional Oral Presentation sessions and the popular Ideas Fair. In the Ideas Fair interactive session, academics and practitioners meet as expert innovators in their field to engage in immersive and interactive multimedia presentations. We will also feature the dynamic and constructive Qualitative Research Workshop and Graduate Student Colloquium (both fully online). Hospitality and tourism practitioners are invited to submit proposals for industry round-table sessions focusing on pertinent issues facing the industry, both strategic and tactical, via email: [email protected], attention of Esra Calvert.
For the Oral Presentation sessions, Ideas Fair, and Qualitative Research Workshop we invite submissions of Extended Abstracts (3,000 words max). For the Graduate Student Colloquium, the length of the submission should not exceed 1,500 words. Authors of Extended Abstracts accepted for the Oral Presentation sessions may convert their submission to the Full Paper format (5,000 words max) to compete for the Best Paper Award. In the Ideas Fair category, the Best Ideas Fair Extended Abstract will also be recognized. Authors will be able to choose a publication format for the online Conference Proceedings: Full Paper, Extended Abstract, or Short Abstract (150 words).
Submissions are now open. Key Dates:
- 15 January 2022. Submission of Extended Abstract due
- 15 March 2022. Notification of acceptance
- 15 April 2022. Submission of Full Paper or revised Extended Abstract
For Author Guidelines, Submission Templates and to submit your abstract, please visit https://scholarworks.umass.edu/ttra/. For more information on the TTRA Conference, check our website ttra.com/conference/, and/or email us at [email protected].
We are looking forward to a great conference!