Organization/Company Name: School of Hotel and Tourism Management, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Location: Hong Kong
Professor/Associate Professor/Assistant Professor in Hospitality Management, Tourism Management, Event Management or Information Technology in Hospitality & Tourism (several new posts) (Ref. 231005002)
The School of Hotel and Tourism Management (SHTM) at The Hong Kong Polytechnic University seeks qualified faculty members at the rank of Professor, Associate Professor, Assistant Professor, and Research Assistant Professor to join its dynamic faculty of more than 90 members drawn from some 20 countries or regions.
SHTM has been ranked No. 1 in the world for six consecutive years in the “Hospitality and Tourism Management” category of ShanghaiRanking’s Global Ranking of Academic Subjects (2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022), placed No. 1 globally in the “Commerce, Management, Tourism and Services” category in the University Ranking by Academic Performance for six years in a row (2017/18, 2018/19, 2019/20, 2020/21, 2021/22 and 2022/23), rated No. 1 in the world in the “Hospitality, Leisure, Sport and Tourism” subject area by the CWUR Rankings by Subject (2017), and ranked No. 2 in the world among university based programmes in the “Hospitality and Leisure Management” subject area in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2023 for the seventh consecutive year (2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023). The Hong Kong Polytechnic University is among the world’s top 100 universities (No. 65 in QS World University Rankings 2024 and No. 79 in Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2023).
The School currently enrols about 1,500 students from more than 50 countries around the world, with a relatively higher proportion (approximately 45%) enrolled in postgraduate degrees (Master of Science, Doctor of Hotel & Tourism Management, and Doctor of Philosophy). Through Hotel ICON (www.hotel-icon.com), the School’s groundbreaking teaching and research hotel which is rated among the top hotels in Hong Kong by TripAdvisor, the School offers a paradigm-shifting approach to hospitality and tourism education, inspiring a new generation of passionate, pioneering professionals to take their positions as leaders in the hospitality and tourism industry. Please visit the website at www.polyu.edu.hk/htm for more information about the School.
The appointees will be required to:
- teach and contribute to curriculum development at undergraduate and/or postgraduate levels and supervise doctoral research;
- conduct research that leads to publications in top-tier refereed journals and awards of research grants;
- initiate, lead, and participate in knowledge-transfer activities and other scholarly activities;
- undertake academic administration duties and departmental service; and
- perform any other duties as assigned by the Dean of the School or his delegates.
Applicants should have:
- a minimum of PhD or an equivalent doctoral degree in Hospitality, Tourism, Business, or in a related discipline;
- substantial university teaching experience and an excellent portfolio of teaching in respective areas for Professor/Associate Professor and a demonstration of potential for excellent teaching for Assistant Professor;
- demonstrated academic leadership in hospitality and tourism through research as evidenced by publications in top-rated journals, awards of research grants, scholarship, and high-level consultancy in respective areas for Professor / Associate Professor and a demonstration of potential for research excellence for Assistant Professor; and
- substantial industry experience related to the position.
Preferences will be given to candidates with a track record of research and expertise in smart technology applications, AI, robotics, big data analytics, and innovations/entrepreneurship related to hospitality, tourism, and/or event management.
Consideration of applications will commence on 1 December 2023 until the position is filled. Please find the details of the position at https://jobs.polyu.edu.hk/job_detail.php?job=231005002 and apply online via the link.
Remuneration and Conditions of Service:
A highly competitive remuneration package will be offered. The initial appointment for Assistant Professor will be on a fixed-term gratuity-bearing contract. Re-engagement thereafter is subject to mutual agreement. An appropriate term will be provided for appointment at Associate Professor / Professor levels. For general information on terms and conditions for the appointment of academic staff in the University, please visit the website at https://www.polyu.edu.hk/hro/docdrive/careers/doc/Prof.pdf. Applicants should state their current and expected salary in the application.
In addition to a highly competitive compensation package, a start-up research fund and staff development support can be provided to the qualified appointees. Appointees are paid on a monthly basis for 12 months annually and the appointment normally starts on 1 August of each year.
Professor Kaye Chon
Dean, School of Hotel & Tourism Management
Walter & Wendy Kwok Family Foundation Professor in International Hospitality Management
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University