Overview/Panelist Guiding Questions:
This panel provides an opportunity for graduate colloquium participants to discuss expectations and strategies for successful professional development 3-5 years after graduation.
- What do you wish you would have known about the promotion and tenure process prior to accepting an academic position?
- What post-graduate opportunities outside of tenure-track lines (i.e., non-academic career opportunities) do you see as viable or up-and-coming options for those with a Ph.D. degree in hospitality, tourism, recreation, or a related field?
- What comparisons and contrasts can you provide that clearly delineate the life of an academic in the spectrum of research-intensive to teaching-intensive institutes of higher education?
- What key indicators should graduate students look for in job postings and negotiations of job offers?
- Can you share experiences that highlight the process and importance of collaboration in academic professional success in the first 3-5 years post-graduation?