- China remained Australia’s leading tourism market during the year ending March 2019, with numbers increasing by 3% to 1.3 million visitors, while trip spend increased 10% to reach $12 billion, an additional $1.1 billion.
- Visitor numbers from New Zealand increased by 2% during the year to reach 1.3 million. Trip spend also increased 2% to reach $2.6 billion.
- India continued as the strongest growth market, with visitor numbers up 15% to 343,000, nights up 21% to 20.9 million, and trip spend jumping 12% to reach a record $1.7 billion.
- Visitation from the UK was soft, down 4% to 673,000 visitors, with nights down 6% to 21.4 million, and trip spend down 5% to $3.3 billion.
- US visitation returned mixed results. Visitor numbers remained steady at 750,000, while nights fell by 8% to 13.1 million, and trip spend increased 6% to reach $4 billion, which suggests a better result for high yield visitors.