Deadline to Apply: February 18, 2024
Organization/Company Name: Visit Savannah
Location: Savannah, Georgia
Title: Director, Research
Reports to: Vice President of Strategic Marketing
Overview of Position:
The Director of Research is responsible for developing and managing a dynamic marketing research program. They oversee data analysis, collaborate with stakeholders, and utilize research findings to inform marketing strategies. The Director plays a pivotal role in shaping marketing strategies through the development and management of a robust marketing research program. Primary responsibilities include overseeing data analysis, collaborating with key stakeholders, and translating research findings into actionable insights to drive informed marketing decisions.
Brands supported: Visit Savannah, Visit Tybee Island, Savannah Area Chamber of Commerce, and the Savannah Sports Council.
Strategic Research Program Management:
- Collaborate with key organizational stakeholders to develop and manage a dynamic marketing research program that aligns with organizational goals and market trends.
- Identify opportunities for utilization of research and data to better inform our organization to make the best decisions.
- Partner closely with the marketing team to understand how to integrate research insights into marketing strategies, proactively identifying advertising trends.
- Leverage advanced reporting tools to optimize performance tracking and enhance campaign effectiveness.
- Seek new opportunities to support the efforts and goals of the sales team, looking holistically at bookings and highlighting trends and opportunities for them.
- Lead any new research projects, ensuring effective communication of goals and realistic expectations of output between stakeholders is delivered.
Data Management and Analysis:
- Maintain a library of primary and secondary research on tourism, meetings, and hospitality for both our local destination and global trends.
- Champion the utilization and progressive enhancement of our Business Intelligence Dashboard, ensuring its seamless integration into our operations for data-driven decision-making.
- Lead agency relationships with our suite of data partners.
- Present recommendations to leadership on what tools and reports to continue, discontinue, or adjust.
Analyze weekly and monthly STR (Smith Travel Research) results.
Communications and Reporting:
- Compile detailed reports and occasionally transform them into presentations for sharing with internal teams, facilitating conversation around relevant trends and results to keep everyone informed.
- Foster effective collaboration with cross-functional teams, including marketing and sales, to ensure research initiatives align with overall business objectives.
- Partner with Public Relations to seek opportunities to share data with the public to increase understanding of key tourism and convention market trends, issues, opportunities, and challenges.
Board Meeting Preparation and Industry Engagement:
- Develop content for board meetings, ensuring the importance and prioritization of research.
- Develop industry network contacts to share resources, information, and ideas.
- Stay abreast of industry advancements and emerging methodologies to enhance the effectiveness of our research program.
Other responsibilities as assigned by the organization to support its evolving needs and goals.
TBD, possibility of intern.
Working conditions are normal for an office environment. Work may require occasional weekend and/or evening hours. This position may require occasional domestic and/or international business travel. Reasonable accommodations may be limited to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job description describes the general nature and work level to be performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of job responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position.
About Visit Savannah:
Visit Savannah is the official destination marketing organization (DMO) for the beautiful city of Savannah, Georgia. Our mission is to promote Savannah as a premier travel destination, welcoming visitors from around the world to experience the unique charm, history, culture, and hospitality that our city has to offer. We work closely with local businesses, government agencies, and tourism stakeholders to drive economic growth and ensure that Savannah remains a top travel destination.
Education and Experience/Key Competencies:
- Four-year degree from an accredited college or university in marketing research, statistics, mathematics, psychology, sociology, demography, another social science, or a related field.
- 5+ years’ experience in marketing research or other quantitative analytical experience a plus.
- Strong analytical skills to collect, process, and interpret data effectively, utilizing advanced tools and statistical techniques.
- Proficiency in selecting and implementing appropriate research methodologies, including quantitative and qualitative approaches, to address complex business questions and generate valuable insights.
- Experience in writing surveys and creating market research reports.
- Experience in translating data and putting it into presentations so that different audiences can understand.
- Demonstrates commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) principles and a track record of fostering an inclusive work environment, promoting diversity, and implementing initiatives that support DEI goals.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Passion for promoting travel and tourism.
- Experience utilizing tourism-specific data tools like Symphony, STR, and more is preferred.
- Software Proficiency: Microsoft Office: Word, PowerPoint, Excel (spreadsheets and complex calculations, pivot tables), online survey software such as SurveyMonkey, graphics and database management software.
To apply: Please send resume to Lauren Cleland ([email protected]). No phone calls, please.